WEST COAST THEATRE WORLD

There is so much great theatre on the West Coast! Here's a sample of what we have to offer in L.A., San Diego, San Francisco, La Jolla, Pasadena, O.C. and more... Support the theatre... see a play tonight!

8/05/2006

DREAMGIRLS


8/1/06
I had so many expectations going in and there's so much to take in in Bill Conden's film that I'm hesitant to give any kind of review till I've seen it again, BUT there's so much to admire, starting with the stellar performances by everyone. This would be a good year to start the new Oscar category Best Casting.
Jennifer Hudson has the unenviable task of following in Jennifer Holliday's enormous shoes and I'm glad to say she fills every inch, the "And I Am Telling you" scene doesn't disappoint!
Eddie Murphy can get his acceptance speech ready is all I'm saying.
Beyonce glows and literally becomes Diana Ross. You yearn for her future performances with sheer star power.
ALL the supporting cast have wonderful moments to shine but you don't get enough of them (not a criticism or it would be 5 hours long-I wouldn't mind but everyone else would.) Anika Noni Rose also shows mega-star talent and Keith Robinson delivers a beautiful understated performance. Loretta Divine, from the Original Broadway Cast, has a wonderful song at the end.
All of the new songs work very well, pretty, catchy and they tell the story (imagine that in a musical.) The choreography is HOT (though we don't get to savor it as much as we would like to for reasons I'll mention next. The costumes are gorgeous and funny (because of the period.)
The one and only drawback is the editing, which is unimaginative and repetitive. It slows the pace at times and other times is inappropriately MTV so that we cant enjoy it as much as we want to. The editing seems very controlled and never really lets loose.
Still it is a movie I wanted to see again RIGHT THEN after it finished which says alot...kudos to Bill and all his talent and love for the musical theatre, it shows and we are the lucky recipients!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Westbrook said...

I am so excited. I trust your opinion and am so glad you started this Blog for us on the East Coast to enjoy!
God Bless Bill for finally bringing one of my favorite musicals to the big screen.
I can't WAIT to step to the bad side!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home